Watch the June 2016 Fan Fiction Screenplay Winner.
Submit your Fan Fiction Screenplay to the Festival: https://fanfictionfestival.com/
SPACE 2099 by Kevin D Story (Based on the television series Space 1999)
Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure, Action, Fantasy
NARRATOR – Kelci Stephenson
JOHN – Geoff Mays
VICTOR/CARLOS – Julian Ford
HELENA/TANYA – Tee Schneider
ALAN/GERARD – Nathan Bragg
DAVID/TONY – Sean Ballantyne
Get to know the winning writer Kevin D. Story:
1. What is your TV Pilot screenplay based on the television show Space: 1999 about?
John Koenig, the commander of Moonbase Alpha, must prevent a terrorist group, led my an old adversary, from taking over a nuclear refinery.
2. How does this future remake fit into the context of the original TV show?
The screenplay is a re-imagining of the original pilot episode.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What TV show do you keep watching over and over again?
There’s more than one: Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica (the original and re-imagined), Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT), Babylon 5, Stargate (SG-1 and Atlantis) and Farscape.
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It took about four months to finish the first draft, which was 137 pages. It took another two months to whittle it down to just under 100 pages. I’m still polishing it.
6. How many stories have you written?
I currently have two feature length scripts and a one-hour television pilot. I’ve also written two episodes of Space 2099 that would take place after the events of my pilot script. I’m currently working on a comedy feature.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I’ve been a fan of Space 1999 ever since I was six years old. Ronald Moore’s re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica demonstrated to me that Space 1999 could undergo a similar makeover.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
The biggest obstacle was trying to figure out how the Moon would breakaway from Earth’s orbit that sci-fi fans would perceive as feasible.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Keeping up with current events is important to me because it helps me to understand the world at large, which helps with my writing.
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I found the festival’s website as I was looking for screenplay contests that I could enter. I was impressed with the testimonials from past contestants. Watching a couple of past readings also had an impact. The feedback I received was incredibly helpful.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Never give up. Writing takes time, patience and research. Enter into as many contests as possible, especially ones that offer quality feedback, like the Fan Film Festival.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson