Watch the March 2016 Fan Fiction Screenplay Winner.
Watch MAGNUM P.I.: Chrysanthemum Table Reading:
NARRATOR – Val Cole
MAGNUM – Rob Notman
ALLISON – Alicia Payne
T.C./SIMONSEN – Ucal Shillingford
HIGGINS/RICK – Kari-Michael Helava
Get to know writer Lew Ritter:
1. What is your Magnum PI screenplay about?
In the 80’s a computer whiz and former army buddy, fakes his own death to stop the theft of a then state of he art super computer. Chrysanthemum.
2. How does this episode fit into the context of the TV show? What season would this episode be in?
Probably early in the series.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What TV show do you keep watching over and over again?
Gotham or Sleepy Hollow.
5. This is a very tight, emotionally engaging and fun screenplay. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I did an early draft in the late 80’s and then made some changes based on the comments from the Festival readers.
6. How many stories have you written?
About seven scripts including a pilot for a series about the seventies called Turbulence.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
Homage to a great show. It had humor and great story lines. I loved the characters including Higgins.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
None really, it practically wrote itself. I did some research and tacked on an ending where the friend is off to meet Bill Gates, then an unknown computer guy at the time.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Teaching. I am a teacher at local charter school.
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Very accessible. Fee was reasonable. Above all, I got the feeling that the reader was knowledgable about scripts and made great suggestions for polishing the script.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Keep writing. Be prepared to write for a number of years before you get good.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
Editor: John Johnson
One thought on “Fan Fiction TV Spec Reading of MAGNUM P.I. by Lew Ritter”
Reblogged this on WILDsound Writing and Film Festival Review.