Watch the July 2016 Winning Fan Fiction Screenplay.
Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Power Loss by Jennifer Renner
Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure, Action, Fantasy
Synopsis: Episode 32.5 of the TV series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The station welcomes visitors from a planet in the Gamma Quadrant that allows only women to hold positions of authority.
NARRATOR – Brandon Knox
BENNI – Susan Wilson
SORYA/KIRA – Meghan Allen
DAX/LELA – Courtney Keir
ODO – Julian Ford
BASHIR/QUARK – David Guthrie
SISKO/RISHTA – Sean Ballantyne
Get to know the winning writer Jennifer Renner
1. What is your TV Fan Fiction screenplay about?
Deep Space 9 welcomes visitors from a planet in the Gamma Quadrant that only allows women to hold positions of authority.
2. Why does this episode fit into the context of the show?
The episode uses a futuristic setting and the unique perspectives of the characters to discuss a social issue. One of my favorite things about the whole Star Trek phenomenon was the ability to look at potentially controversial issues under a new and intriguing light.
3. How would you describe this script in two words?
4. What TV show do you keep watching over and over again?
Star Trek: TNG
5. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I worked on this screenplay for about three months.
6. How many stories have you written?
I’ve written many short screenplays and three feature length screenplays.
7. What motivated you to write this screenplay?
I love the different personalities in DS9. The topic of gender has been in the spotlight recently and using the voices of DS9 seemed a good way to explore this issue.
8. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
I don’t have much experience writing for TV, so that was fairly new to me. I also wanted to do justice to the Star Trek universe and it is a complex place to navigate. Use the term “warp coil” when you specifically mean “warp nacelle” and you’ve lost all credibility.
9. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
All things film! From theory to shooting and editing, to just a lot of viewing, I enjoy it all.
10. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was excited about the prospect of receiving feedback to improve my writing. The feedback I received offered many helpful suggestions, both in terms of my writing in general and as a piece in the DS9 universe. I’m definitely glad I entered this festival.
11. Any advice or tips you’d like to pass on to other writers?
Although I don’t feel qualified to give advice, I would say to try writing as many different types of works as you can. From one-act plays to feature screenplays to poetry to just a really well-written email, there are so many ways to express yourself well through writing.
Director/Producer: Matthew Toffolo http://www.matthewtoffolo.com
Editor: John Johnson
Casting Director: Sean Ballantyne
2 thoughts on “Fan Fiction Screenplay: Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Power Loss by Jennifer Renner”
Reblogged this on WILDsound Writing and Film Festival Review.
Reblogged this on Festival Reviews.